≡ Menu

RubyEclipse problem when creating a new project solved

I’ve been working with the great Ruby Eclipse project (which if you haven’t played with, download and then go through the tutorial. It’s been working flawlessly on my XP Laptop, but I hadn’t been able to get it to work on my Linux box. Basically, with both 0.6 and 0.7 versions, I would go to Project->New->Ruby and would get an error that it could find the class org.rubypeople.rdt.internal.ui.wizards.NewProjectCreationWizard. There was very little info on the web about it, but I had a hunch.

I was running Eclipse 3.1, but it got to 3.1 bu /upgrading/ from 3.0. My laptop had a fresh install of 3.1. And sure enough, removing the 3.0/3.1 app files and running a fresh 3.1 install with the RubyEclipse plugin added worked like a charm.

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • Anonymous April 14, 2006, 10:50 pm

    Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

    I’m new to Eclipse and Ruby, and it really has been a major struggle getting it installed (on Xandros). I was just about to give up, but thought “one more google”, and I hit this blog, and now I’m all up and running.

    So, just for anyone else passing by, if you get a “NullPointerException” when you try to create a new project in Eclipse with RDT, try removing Eclipse, and doing a clean install of Eclipse 3.1.

    For the record: Xandros 3.0 (a debian distribution), Eclipse 3.1.2 (I used the tar.gz file, not the Xandros networks version), ruby 1.8.2, from http://updatesite.rubypeople.org/release.

    The plugin loaded fine, and I was able to create a new Ruby project (finally!!!!). Then when I tried to run it I got an error with the “default interpreter path”. I fixed this by editing the interpreter under Window->Preferences->Ruby->Installed interpreter (double click “->Ruby” to open the submenu).

    – Javaman59

  • Anonymous April 14, 2006, 11:57 pm

    sighhh.. I’ve been through the hoops with this, and got a bit mixed up writing the previous post.

    Corrections…

    1. I referred to the “NullPointerException”. That wasn’t the error I fixed here (it was a previous error, and I can’t remember how I fixed it). The error that was fixed by the clean install was the one in the original post “..NewProjectCreationWizard”

    2. my ruby version is 1.8.2, and I got RDT version 0.8.0.604092300RC1 from http://updatesite.rubypeople.org/release.

    Good luck!