NUnit App.Config files – it’s all about the .nunit file!

When you are running an assembly test in NUnit, you may need to access App.Config values. NUnit loads the App.config files by looking for a file with AssemblyName.config.

However, in the default configuration, that .config file has to be in the same directory as the .nunit project file. For example, we had the following setup:

\src\MyProject\MyProject.nunit
\src\MyProject\MyProject\MyProject.sln
\src\MyProject\MyProject\bin\debug

putting the MyProject.config file in either \src\MyProject\MyProject or in \src\MyProject\MyProject\bin\debug doesn’t work – NUnit can’t find it. Putting it in \src\MyProject works like a charm.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Jack April 5, 2006, 10:35 am

You, sir, are an evil genius! I spent ages trying to fix a problem which was caused by this. Thanks :-)

• Praveen Angyan May 28, 2006, 3:27 am

I had this same problem and this fixed it. I was using NUnit to test the NHibernate section of my app and it couldn’t find the App.config file. But I didn’t know that.

What I did was put my NUnit Project inside the bin folder. I also had to change the Properties for Configuration File NAme.

• Anonymous July 7, 2006, 3:14 pm

Wow, that worked! Thanks a ton — I wasted well over an hour trying to figure out why my App.config file was not being found.

• Matt September 8, 2006, 8:19 pm

This helped me. Thanks.

I found that I had to have my .config file in the same folder as the nunit file. Both had to have the same root name and since I quickly got tired of renaming project.dll.config to project.config, I decided to turn the problem on its head and name the nunit project file project.dll.nunit. It’s been working fine ever since.

I still don’t like that I have to copy my config file up 2 levels just for nunit to work!!!

• Anonymous December 12, 2006, 10:20 am

Thanks !!!!

You saved my life ^^

• Rolf Schmidiger May 10, 2007, 3:27 am

Please note that the file [myDir]\[myApp].config will only be read if i start “nunit.exe [myDir]\[myApp].nunit”

(the assembly-name does NOT MATTER.. worked for me like this with Nunit 2.4.)

Hope this helps somebody…

• Anonymous May 15, 2007, 5:02 am

Thanks for saving hours of work!

• Anonymous May 13, 2008, 5:58 am

You have saved my life! Many thanks.

What a stupid way for Nunit to work!!!

• Anonymous June 25, 2008, 11:20 am

Here’s another way…..

If you have an NUnit-enabled project with a .config file, you could just open the assembly (.dll) in NUnit instead of the project (.vbproj or .csproj) or solution (.sln) file. It will find the .config file.

• Urmil Shah July 14, 2008, 5:13 pm

Try this

copy /Y “$(ProjectDir)App.config” “$(TargetDir)$(TargetFileName).config”

in your Build Events of test project

• Spencer August 28, 2008, 10:35 am

Just another thank you — my neck was getting sore from banging my head against the wall…

• Anonymous June 14, 2009, 10:23 am

Hurray! 1 hours lost of finding out why my configuration is not loaded!

• LKlein December 8, 2009, 7:00 pm

Thanks Rolf Schmidiger et al…

I had named my nunit file differently than my config:

Project: ProjectA.csproj
    Test Project: ProjectATester.csproj
    Nunit: ProjectATester.nunit
    Config: ProjectA.config

Took some time but I finally renamed the nunit file ProjectA.nunit and put the config file in the same directory…

(This was tougher than it should have been, im thinking…)

• Charles Middleton December 22, 2009, 6:39 am

Thanks a bunch! Spent days trying to sort this out!

• Markus Gallagher March 4, 2010, 6:46 am

You can specify the File Name in the NUnit GUI under Project–>Edit Configuration File Name. Unfortunately, adding a relative directory doesn’t seem to work. So you have to still place the config file in the same directory as your .nunit project file.

• jeremy simmons April 5, 2011, 12:37 pm

nunit 2.5.9.10348
    application base: bin\Debug
    configuration file name: .exe.config
    replace with your dll or exe name…

• jeremy simmons April 5, 2011, 12:38 pm

sorry – edited above. lame blog doesn’t escape angle-brackets. shame.

nunit 2.5.9.10348
    application base: bin\Debug
    configuration file name: <assemblyname>.exe.config
    replace <assemblyname>. with your dll or exe nameā€¦

• Shyam May 3, 2012, 2:38 pm

Other way ,
    1 . click on file->new project
    2. Change Save as type to dll .
    3. choose nunit test dll as file name .
    4. Ignore warning and click OK
    5.add app.confi to nunit project.
    6. build your project .
    7. run nunit , it will take the config file.